Thursday, December 1, 2011

Beginner's Gumbo

Well, today marks the official 2nd day of my veggie-week. I honestly thought it would be much more difficult to think of things to make, but it has made me be more creative! I know gumbo isn't very "creative", but it's definitely something that I wouldn't have thought about if I wouldn't have had a drawer FULL of veggies to choose from!


First I chopped up the red and green peppers, mushrooms, and sausage (3 veggies in one pan... it's ridiculous how great I am) 
I also sliced the squash and added some slices of onion and put into a baking dish. I added some extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and a little butter and mixed it all together.


I then sauteed the peppers, mushrooms, and sausage together with some oil, a little butter, salt, pepper, and garlic while the rice was cooking in my handy dandy rice cooker.
When it was almost done, I microwaved the squash for 2 minutes, stirred them, then cooked them again for 1 1/2 minutes (I can thank my mom for this one).
I also warmed up some kidney beans in a pot.


Viola! Beginner's Gumbo with squash and onions. 

I have to say that I was pretty surprised that it tasted as good as it did. I'll definitely have to make this one again!


No comments:

Post a Comment